With Odd Even implementation for vehicles in Delhi around the corner it is time to say OKTATA to pollution as far as possible.
Numerous questions have been posed. Many solutions have been proposed.
Hopefully this step will help. If not, it is on a trial basis for 15 days and might be withdrawn.
I’m going to set up a Car Pool solution on this site soon.
Wonder if the below suggestions would help curb pollution?
1. Should diesel vehicles be completely banned?
Should diesel car owners be provided tax subsidy on purchase of CNG vehicles & assured fair market value for their diesel cars? Or, should diesel car be fitted with petrol engines which are then run on CNG? (if that is possible). In old days there used to be advertisements on TV to replace Petrol engines with Diesel engines for cost efficiency. Is vice versa possible now?
2. Should SUV sales be completely banned?
3. What is the contribution of the Metro construction on Ring Road and other stretches to the current pollution levels in Delhi? If that is significant should it be halted and work carried out in phases on particular stretches? Initial Metro construction had been in phases.
4. Would it be possible to have the Ring Rail service augmented and brought under the aegis of the Delhi Metro? Would there still be a need for the construction of the Metro line on Ring Road?
5. Are trams really not meant for big cities? Those might be slow but surely are easier to implement?
6. Maybe we need more buses (CNG?) than the Metro?
7. What is the contribution to pollution of the construction of the elevated stretches on Outer Ring Road? Read in the newspaper recently that more elevated roads are planned. What will be the impact on pollution?